USCIS Clarifies Rules on Marriage and Naturalization

In the last two years our immigration attorneys have filed N400 Applications for Naturalization for numerous clients who have either been a Lawful Permanent Resident for 5 years or more, as well as those who have been a resident for more than years. Under the 3-year-option, one can file for U.S. citizenship if they are currently married to and living with a U.S. citizen spouse, who has been a citizen for those three years. Our immigration lawyers extensively prepare our naturalization applicants for each interview, test them on English reading and writing, as well as the American history and government exam, and attend the interview with them to make sure their rights are abided by and the process goes smoothly.

A Lawful Permanent Resident, or “green card” holder, must be a resident for at least 5 years (or 3 years if married to and living with a U.S. citizen spouse) and demonstrate good moral character and pass the civics and English test to become a US citizen. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently clarified these regulations by emphasizing that one must be married and living with spouse at the time of filing an N-400 petition and remain married until one is sworn in as a US citizen.

Our Immigration Attorneys also make sure to properly evaluate each naturalization case to make sure there are no “good moral character” issues or complications with how each applicant received their residency, since the Trump Administration has recently prioritized going after citizens or naturalization applications who received their residency or citizenship through fraud or mistake, even if those mistakes were made by U.S.C.I.S.

For a free consultation, contact our immigration lawyers in Las Vegas at (702) 836-9003 or in Reno, Carson City and Northern Nevada at (775) 826-2099. You may also contact our lead immigration attorney via email by clicking here. 

Leave a Reply