Proposed Reforms of U.S. Immigration Law for Illegal Aliens

President Obama has announced a legislative proposal he will be sending to Congress this year that among other things would permit illegal aliens who are married to U.S citizens or who have employers willing to sponsor them to apply for legal status in the United States.

If approved by the USCIS the alien would be given work authorization and allowed to apply for permanent residence after passing a security clearance and FBI background check.

If the alien is married to a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident they should contact an experienced Immigration Lawyer to determine if any petitions can be filed at this time.

2 Responses to “Proposed Reforms of U.S. Immigration Law for Illegal Aliens”

  1. I have lived with this man for 13 years, he got deported 6/2009. I move to mexico to be with him,MEXICO is a hard life for someone from the U.S. We got married in 4/22/2010.How can we get him a visa to return to the U.S. I was working in the U.S. BUT SUFFERED a blood clot in Aug. I need to return to the U.S.FOR MEDICALL reasons, he is all I HAVE to take ca re of me.If you could give us advise .

  2. Hello Tommie,

    Your situation sounds like a difficult one. Normally your case would be a strong one for an I-601 Waiver. You and your husband have been together for a long time and probably have a good deal of evidence of your relationship. Further, it sounds like you have a serious medical condition that requires monitoring and/or treatment here in the United States.

    You have the start of a strong waiver case, and if you work with an experienced immigration lawyer you may be able to win approval so your husband can return to the United States without serving his full period of ineligibility.

    The term “deported” gets used widely, so we need to be clear in your case. Was your husband ordered deported by an Immigration Judge? If so, why? Was it because he committed a crime, or simply because he was in the country without authorization? How long was he deported for (five, ten, twenty years)?

    As you can see, there are still some unanswered questions in your case. From the sound of it, your husband is not presently allowed to enter the United States. (I am assuming that he is your legal husband.) If so, you may be able to end his ineligibility by showing that you are suffering as you try to build a life in Mexico with him. You should contact our office.

Leave a Reply